DEFRA GUIDANCE AS OF 5th NOVEMBER 2020
ENGLAND ONLY - CHANGES TO OPERATING GUIDANCE
For Scotland and Wales See PDF below
In order to keep rescue and rehoming centres operating safely during the English lockdown, DEFRA have advised the following:
- Rehoming of dogs and cats may continue, however this should be on a delivery basis only.
- Government is happy for you to continue to take your animals to their new home. You should not encourage new owners to travel to take animals directly from your premises.
- Whilst the default must be that animals are delivered to their new homes or fosterers, if this absolutely cannot be done and it is considered reasonably necessary for welfare reasons, the animal can be collected from the centre by the new owner but this would need to have additional conditions attached;
- By appointment only
- Handover takes place outside
- Social distancing and other safety precautions must apply.
- Owners may only be permitted to come to the centre to relinquish an animal in emergencies or when it is considered to be in the best interest of the animal's welfare. All relinquishments on site must be carried out in a Covid-secure manner.
- Social distancing and safe handling protocols must be followed both when taking in dogs or cats, and when giving them to their new owner.